25 August 2005

A Typical Week

Although my new training schedule, once implemented, will likely not rival the one posted below for intensity, it will definitely look a bit more ambitious than what I do now. I've completed 5 races so far this season with one more to go. That will make 3 olympic distance races and 3 sprints. No long stuff at all this year so the training has been kept to a reasonable level for these kind of events.

Here's a typical week for me:

Sunday - long ride (80-120k) or a brick (2 hour bike, 1 hour run)
Monday - rest
Tuesday thru Friday - a mix of short run (40 min), weights, and swimming. It varies from week to week depending on how I feel. There is also a hockey game in the mix on wednesday night.
Saturday - long run (1.5 - 2 hours)

Once a month I get a shiatsu massage, which I find very helpful in eliminating some of the minor physical complaints that would otherwise not be addressed. It helps a lot with flexibility and with any muscular stiffness that can build up into the sort of chronic complaint that would otherwise simply be 'normalized' as part of the feel of being a masters athlete. Low back pain, neck stiffness and a lack of flexibility should not ever be a regular part of your routine, and massage can help with that.

Most winters I cut back on the running, getting out only on the weekends, up the frequency of weight training to 2-3 times per week, and shun the pool from September to May. I have a feeling that won't work if I expect to do anything respectable at IMLP.

I've been looking into come coaching options and have narrowed it down to 2 candidates. I will also be undergoing a lactate threshold test to determine where my optimum heart rate zones are and all of that, so the results (good or bad) will get posted here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home