30 August 2005

IM Canada in the Globe and Mail

Today's Globe and Mail sports section has a 2 page spread on IronMan Canada. Standings, photos, and a couple of nice pieces about the IM phenomenon. I thought this was pretty cool until I noticed that it was a 'special supplement'. That means it wasn't really news, it was a paid-for insert.

Even though IM events draw upwards of 2,000 competitors every time and sell out within hours, and even though triathlons in general are becoming more popular every year, it seems our sport still does not rate real coverage in the major dailies.

I'm not sure whether to be miffed at this or not. On the one hand triathlon is a great sport and I wish it would get the respect it deserves from the sporting world in general. On the other hand I kind of like that it's a niche sport. I used to golf alot, and watched in horror as each year more and more duffers and nimrods took up the game. I doubt there's any chance of that happening in a sport as demanding as triathlon, since beer drinking and riding in a powercart are not allowed, but if it ever did then it might lose a bit of its appeal as an 'elite' type of sport that not everyone can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home