06 September 2005

Heart (Attack) Rate Monitors

I went to my LTS (local tri shop) a couple of days ago to pick up a heart rate monitor, to try to improve my running. Everything I've read so far about training for IM says to get a HRM so that's what I'm going to do. Never used one before and always thought it was a bit of a geek toy, but I'll put that judgement aside for now and give it a shot.

The model that was on sale (for $319 CDN) was sold out. Of course. So it was suggested that I try the latest model from Polar - it gives you accurate speed on the run without counting steps or GPS, plus temperature, altitude and who knows what else. Makes a nice latte, probably. Price: $499.00. I know this is an expensive sport. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford decent gear, so I usually don't waffle about buying what I need (within reason). But five hundred bucks? Does it come with a defibrillator too?

If anyone can recommend a model of HRM that will do the job without breaking the bank, I'd love to hear from you. In the meantime I'll continue to plod along without one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home