13 June 2006

There and Back Again - A Cyclist's Tale

Just a quick note about the Rideau Lakes ride over the past weekend.

Unlike last year when the temperatures approached 40 degrees celsius, this year's version started off on saturday with a brisk NW breeze (25 kmh) and a startling 9 degrees C. Cold and wind, my two worst enemies on the bike.

Being of slight frame (~150 lbs after dinner) I find gusty days can be a real challenge. I'm sure heavier riders fight the wind too, but I don't think they get blown around like an autumn leaf the way us 'climbers' do. But what can you do but carry on and wait for a tailwind?

The weather sunday was even worse. I swear the breeze picked up but did not change direction, which meant we would be riding straight into it for the exit from K-Town. On the other hand, it rained for about 2 hours. So that was nice.

Ride times each day were 6:25 and 6:39, about where I thought I'd be for the 180k. Fuel was not an issue, and on day 1 I felt like I could put on the running shoes and run. That's good news. The cool weather may have had something to do with that, so now I'm hoping for a cold front on race day, but only after the swim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home