29 December 2005

Run Forrest, Run

An update on the run-to-work thing. After lamenting in my last post that running 2x in 12 hours might be too much for the body to bear, I had a re-think and remembered that another possible reason for extra-stiff legs might have been the heavy leg workout I had done at the gym prior to Run #1. Well, duh.

So I tried again, this time going easy on the squats whilst at le gymnasium. Real easy. Two runs, back to back, and... no leg pain. Yay. That means no getting on the subway once a week to get to/from work.

The downside of course is that I have no (real) excuse to not run. Like yesterday for instance. I brought my gear to work so I could run home but the weather was awful at 5 o'clock. Rainy, windy, and just not nice. I had almost talked myself out of running home (like cycling would have been much better) when I decided f**k it. Just run.

And that's the moral of the story, sports fans. Just run. Nike got it right - you have to just bite the bullet and go, no matter what. I slogged it home in the rain and by the time I got there I didn't feel too bad. In fact I felt pretty good, and quite chuffed wi' meself for toughing it out.

Another unforesen benefit of all this running, besides the general feeling of smug superiority mentioned in an earlier post, is that the more I run, the easier it gets! Who knew? I wonder if any of those triathlon training books I have at home mention this startling effect. I should check.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home