29 September 2005

I Am a Scientist

The Toronto Marathon is on October 16. That's just about 2 weeks away, and my run mileage right now is pathetically low. My longest run of the year so far is under 2 hours, a fact I attribute to the twin causes of a) training mainly for Olympic distance tris and b) sheer laziness. With maybe a bit of 'I'm too busy' thrown in for sympathy.

Right now I'm desperately trying to cram in enough training to complete the 42.2k distance without kiling myself in the process but this is far from a sure bet. Last year at this time I was running in the 3 hour range pretty comfortably and had been focusing on the marathon since mid-August. Still not the recommended amount of training if you listen to the standard wisdom concerning marathons, but I'm no couch-surfer so I wasn't too worried. A 3:37 was the result. Not too bad.

This year is a different story. This will be something of a science experiment for me - can I comfortably complete this race on a minimum of training? Is this a really dumb idea? I guess I'll know on October 16. I've already revised my anticipated finish time from the 3.5 hour range to the 4.0 hour range. Anything longer than that will constitute a serious failure, race-wise. But even so I can take comfort in the fact that my little experiment might somehow add to my store of Race Wisdom. It might also serve as a Warning to the Others.

Right now the plan is to run 3-4 times per week, including at least one 25k run. Tapering will be limited to the 4 days before raceday... I hope that's enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home