05 January 2006

Injury Report

One of the problems with being an athlete of any age is injury, but when you are an 'older' athlete (older than what, I wonder?) the frequency and duration of injuries become a greater factor in both training and competition.

Generally speaking I've been pretty lucky in that department. No major injuries like torn ACLs or broken bones, no plantar fasciitis (which has severely hobbled an acquaintance of mine, a guy who was a top triathlete in his age group) and no bigtime recurring troubles that would sideline me for any length of time.

I do, however, have a kind of wonky back. Being a tall & lanky sort of fellow I am prone to the occasional back spasm, which puts a spanner in the training works whenever it flares up. Like right now for instance. A few days ago I was standing there minding my own business when I felt a twinge in my back. Uh oh. I know that feeling, and it isn't good. Two or three times a year my back seizes up on me for no apparent reason and knocks me flat, and 2006 was getting off to a great start.

Can this be prevented? Partially. Attention to core strength and flexibility, plus regular massage will reduce both the frequency and duration of this type of problem, but I'm finding in my case that it's something I will likely just have to deal with for the rest of my life.

This time, since it happened on a holiday monday there would be no emergency shiatsu treatment as in previous crises. I had to wait 2 days to get an appointment, two days filled with muscle relaxing drugs, heating pad sessions and absolutely zero exercise. Not good. But at least it's January and not June, when a layup would have a more serious impact on my training schedule. If anything like this were to happen prior to a race, I would be toast. There's no way I could compete, not in that condition. Timing, as in so many things, is key.

So no running this week, no weight training, and only my bike commute for exercise. Great.

To add insult to injury, my shiatsu therapist, whom I have been totally dependent on for four years now, informed me yesterday that she would be moving in April... to Montreal. Since I'm in Toronto this presents a problem, obviously. Kind of a long drive for a massage. My back is getting sore just thinking about it. Better take some drugs...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home